Sunday, February 26, 2012

Theres no compression on my 2001 audi a6 could this be piston rings or a timing problem?

It was an engine swap and everything is completely installed.when i turn the key it makes the noise like the engine is turning but theres no compression.Ive heard 2 diffrent things from a few people that it could be the piston rings or it could be that the timing was put out of place when i took the old motor out and replaced it with the next one.Theres no compression on my 2001 audi a6 could this be piston rings or a timing problem?Depends on the engine, is it a 2.7 or a 2.8. in any case the piston rings on audi are not usually the cause. I would suggest pulling back the timing belt cover and then turning the engine over and see if the camshafts move. I am willing to bet that the belt is broken and your valves are probably bent. I have seen it a ton of times. I work at an audi dealer and that is the first thing I check when I encounter a problem like what you are describing.Theres no compression on my 2001 audi a6 could this be piston rings or a timing problem?Having done a few of these in MR2s I understand your frustrations.



1) Since it's a swap, are you reasonably sure the motor was in good condition? did you buy it from a reputable source or pull it yourself? When I'm looking for a motor to swap, I usually pick the car that looks like the guy rolled it 100 times. You don't want cars that have front end damage or look like they've been on fire. Cars which look good, but are in a junkyard - they aren't there because they look good - they're there because something terrible happened to the engine.

2) Did you make sure the connections to the battery and the ECU are correct?

3) Did you read the shop manual and check the engine timing? A lot of newer cars do NOT have matchmark timing, you have to jumper the ECU to actually time the engine.

4) Did you change the plugs and give the engine a tune up? Did you replace the ignition system or you're sure your ignition system is good?

5) Did you try using dry gas? If the engine has sat around for quite awhile, it may not have decent fuel in the rail yet. You should use high octane gas and some ether to try to spin the engine.



Good luck.
  • whotel austin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment